How to Assemble Your Pure Fixed Gear Bike | Bikes Rider

For those people who have ridden an old bike, the idea of riding a pure fixed gear bike is worth drooling. In addition to providing the obvious advantage – that of more balanced and rhythmic flow of pedals, a pure fixed gear bike enhances the performance of both the bicycle and the cyclist. Also, unlike to that of multiple gears’ bikes, the maintenance of a pure fixed gear bike is extremely low. Finally, if you belong to that “endangered species” of cyclists who prefer retro bikes, this bike can be an important addition to their arsenal.

How to Assemble Your Pure Fixed Gear Bike

How to Assemble Your Pure Fixed Gear Bike Step #1: Get the Tools

Upon arriving at your door, the bike would be 80% assembled. To do the remaining 20%, you’d need some tools. Make sure that you have them all at your disposal.

  • 15mm socket wrench
  • Hex wrench (4mm to 6mm)
  • ​Open Face 15mm Pedal Wrench
  • ​Locking Tool
  • ​Bike grease

Step # 2: Starting with the wheel

First of all, grab the wheel and the 15mm socket wrench. Put the wheel in loosely and get it in finger tight. Once you have the wheel in the center, take out the wrench and start to tighten it slowly.

Step # 3: Make Sure the lock ring is tightened

When you’re riding a fixed gear bicycle, it is the lock ring which prevents your gear from slipping. For this, first of all, loosen the rear wheel and take the chain out by pointing it towards the side and rolling the wheel backward. Once the wheel is loosened, take off the wheel and tighten the lock ring. Finally, reattach the wheel in the same manner as you had detached it earlier.

Step # 4: Install the handlebars

First of all, loosen up the face plate bolts. Once you have taken them off, put the handlebar in the stem and start to tighten them by putting the face plate bolts back in their place. This is the point where you’d make sure that the handlebars are exactly where you want them to be. In simple words, adjust the handlebars so that they suit you perfectly.

Step # 5: Putting in the Seat

Before putting in the seat, make sure that the seat post collar is loosened in. This would allow you to put in the seat. You can use the 5mm Allen Key to loosen the seat post collar. Now, grease the seat post to make sure that they fit in easily. Put the seat in the seat post collar. Finally, using the 5mm Allen Key, make sure that the seat is snug.

Step # 6: Attach the Pedals

First of all, you need to determine which pedal is left or right. Usually, there is a marking on both pedals. Now, grease the pedals to make sure that they don’t catch rust anytime soon. Now, use your fingers to put the pedals on the crank. For the right pedal, you ought to turn it in the right direction. For the left one, turn it on the left side. This would make sure that your pedals remain threaded.

Now that you’ve finger tightened your pedals, take out the 15mm Socket Wrench and tighten them to the maximum.

Step # 7: Put on the brake lever and adjust the brake caliper

Front brakes typically go to the left handlebar. Once you attach them to the bar, use the Allen Key to tighten them accordingly.

Now, if you want to adjust the brakes, there is a bolt just above the front tire. Using the 5mm Allen Key, loosen the bolt, pull onto your cable, squeeze your brakes and then you tighten the bolt. Once you have them tightened, you can test them with the brake lever and check whether they are at where you want them.

Congrats, you’ve assembled a pure fixed gear bike.

About the Author Daryl Monson

I am Daryl Monson. This is my personal blog, I’ll mostly talk about Cycling. I have an in-depth experience in writing about Cycling. I would also provide some information about bike and bike accessories. In short, you’ll find a lot of valuable information regarding bike and other bike related stuff.

Leave a Comment: